Navigating the Decision to Move
Making a move is a significant decision, especially when it involves transitioning to Independent or Assisted Living for seniors. It requires careful consideration, understanding, and support. Here are some valuable tips to help seniors and their families navigate this important life transition.
- Respect their process. Most seniors need time to decide to move into senior residential housing. Consider their past approach to big decisions and routines. Have patience during the discussion, allowing them the time to process and understand the benefits that such a move can bring to their quality of life.
- Avoid pushing. It's crucial not to expect immediate agreement from your parent. The decision to move is emotional and requires time for adjustment to new ideas. Plant the seed, discuss the options gently, and be prepared for the possibility that they may not agree right away. Avoid pushing and allow the conversation to evolve naturally over time.
- Understand the Reasons. Why might Independent or Assisted Living be a good choice? Present these options as solutions to make life easier for them. If the conversation becomes challenging, be patient and wait for another opportunity. Understanding their perspective and concerns is essential in facilitating a smoother decision-making process.
- Seek insights from others. Explore if any of their friends live in Senior Residential Housing and inquire about their experiences. Speaking to family members of residents can provide valuable insights into the transition process from both the senior's and family's perspectives. Many senior living communities have Ambassadors who can offer support and information during this exploration phase.
- Know what's available. Research the senior residential communities in the desired location. Understand the services and amenities offered, and match them to your parent's specific needs and preferences. Having a clear picture of available options will empower you and your parent in making an informed decision.
- Be prepared for the move. If the decision is made to move, be prepared for the practical aspects, including selling the home and downsizing decisions. Plan visits to potential communities, and consider professional movers or specialized downsizing companies that cater to seniors moving into Senior Residential Housing.
- Explore the support services offered by Meridian Senior Living, which include Move-in Coordinators and Ambassadors. These professionals can provide assistance throughout the decision-making process, offering valuable insights, benefits, and guidance to avoid potential pitfalls.